Today is Wed April 26, 2017

Community

26 Jan. 2015

Rare look at race in BLACK OR WHITE very well done

It’s been a long time since I’ve been so excited about a film that deals with contemporary race relations in America.  And, I’m not alone.  Following a packed advanced showing of BLACK OR WHITE, starring Oscar winners Kevin Costner (Dances with Wolves) and Octavia Spencer (The Help), the audience repeatedly expressed their appreciation and desire […]

Read more

22 Jan. 2015

“Seasons of Love” gets NAACP nomination

The Writing/Producing team of Sharon Brathwaite and Peres Owino are part of the record-breaking 16 NAACP Image Awards nominations for the Lifetime Network with their nod for Outstanding Writing in a Television Movie for “Seasons of Love.” ‘The movie’s Executive Producer and Guest Star is Academy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson, star of Lee Daniel’s […]

Read more

15 Jan. 2015

Wall Street Project, making a difference in 2015

The 18th Annual Wall Street Project Economic Summit, “Where Wall Street, Main Street & Silicon Valley Converge,” convened a two-day summit in New York City with discussions centered on Intel’s CEO Brian M. Krzanich commitment to a $300 Million diversity and inclusion initiative. The Summit’s key organizers included Rev. Jesse Jackson of Rainbow Push and […]

Read more

15 Jan. 2015

OWN shines light on SELMA greats

(L-R) Martin Luther King III and wife Andrea, Dick Gregory, Myrlie Evers Williams, Tyler Perry and Reena Evers-Everette “Oprah Winfrey Presents: Legends Who Paved The Way” airing this Sunday, January 18 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network honoring some of the legendary men and extraordinary women of civil rights, the arts and […]

Read more

08 Jan. 2015

Smiley, black US Senators, Booker and Scott

Tavis Smiley on PBS, returning for its 12th season on Monday, Jan. 12, will feature a two-part, exclusive joint interview during its premiere week with the only two African Americans in the U.S. Senate – New Jersey Democrat Cory Booker, and South Carolina Republican Tim Scott. Conducted at the studios of WHUT at Howard University […]

Read more

17 Dec. 2014

Chaz Ebert on “Life Itself” and matters of love

Roger Ebert was one of my private heroes—he, through his work, made me believe I could pursue my love of films and entertainment.  I never got to meet him but, it was as if I did, even when catching glimpses from afar. When he passed away (April 2013), I felt as if a longtime friend […]

Read more

15 Dec. 2014

SELMA’s Oyelowo inspired by King’s legacy

On the eve of a scheduled telephone interview with David Oyelowo (pronounced Oh-yellow-oh), star of SELMA–the acclaimed Ava Duvernay directed feature film—I pondered what could be made of the few precious minutes we would have to talk about his quintessential portrayal of the revered Civil Rights icon, Dr. Martin Luther King JR, slain for confronting […]

Read more

12 Dec. 2014

Gospel great Smokie Norful featured on MOTOWN CHRISTMAS

MOTOWN CHRISTMAS IS #1 GOSPEL ALBUM  THIS WEEK!  First Release of Holiday Music from the Motown Brand in Over 40 Years! Motown Christmas, is a collaborative release from Motown Gospel and Motown Records, featuring soulful, inspired interpretations of seasonal classics. To date, Motown Christmas is the top-selling album on Billboard’s Gospel Albums chart, with more […]

Read more